Sunday, November 28, 2010

Of Virtual Machines and Real Learning Experiences

I've been working with Virtual Machines a lot during the past semester and I think I've gained a lot of valuable experience in the process of repeatedly building and configuring an Ubuntu / Linux server. I'm not sure how many more times I really would want to do that (I'm up to five or six now, I think), but I certainly think that, for this kind of class, it is valuable to learn about some of the nuts and bolts of working with these kinds of systems. I'd even like to learn how to take the platforms online, but realize that time may prohibit that opportunity.


The possibility of a prefigured VM might offer more time to work on other things, such as collection development, and that would be a good thing. I doubt that I'm going to have to serve as a system administrator anytime soon, and perhaps my time would be better spent on things that relate more to the collection and less on technical stuff. Still for me, I'm a bit of a computer geek and I really enjoyed learning the command line stuff and I'm sure there will be times when that experience will give me the confidence and knowledge to boldly go where I might never have gone before.

No comments:

Post a Comment