Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I've been spending a LOT of time with ePrints this past week. More than I expected, even after I had my items entered in the database. This is because, after all that work, my host machine crashed (actually, it was being very slow and I got impatient and initiated a hard reboot) and the VM with ePrints on it got corrupted. Luckily, I had a snapshot not too old - but still had to reconfigure ePrints, redo the subjects file (good practice with my Linux CLI, I suppose), and then re-enter my items. It went faster the second time through, and I did a better job, I think. Experience does make a difference, after all!
The other thing that really makes a difference is that ePrints allows me to make templates from records. Once I have a certain type of item, say image or video, most of the settings will stay the same. I can make a template and just change the link to the item, upload it, and then update the title, abstract and keywords. That usually takes care of it. I like that about ePrints!
One problem with ePrints, though, is that the results are returned alphabetically by author. I would prefer that the results be returned by subject, but since ePrints is really sort of library-centric, the results by author will have to do. I think this could be a real problem if I had a lot of records, but since I don't, it really doesn't slow down my searches.
I am still looking for the "killer app" that is really made for images and video, though. I see Omeka looming out there, but I have to do some harvesting first, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment