Friday, September 3, 2010

Deciding on a digital collection

One of the first assignments in IRLS 675 is to gather a digital collection and to discuss what it consists of, what it is about, who might access it and some terms that might be used to provide access to the collection, in case someone is actually looking for such a grouping of digital stuff.

I'm going to go with the first thing that comes to my mind: I have a lot of photos of Mission San Xavier del Bac from a book project but also from other work that I have done there over time. I also have some video I have taken there and a DVD that was done by KUAT-TV about the work I did there. I also have some links to websites that are about San Xavier and some text files (depending on how public this will be, I might need to get permission to use some of the textual information, which I don't have rights to distribute myself). Which brings up the question of copyright and how it might affect this project. Depending on how we will distribute or provide access to the collections, do we have the right to use digital objects that we have not authored ourselves? Well, I know the legal answer is that we don't, but as a practical matter I suspect it will happen and happen a lot. But I digress.

This collection would be of interest to people who are interested in art, religion, architecture, history, culture, the southwest, photography, painting, sculpture, and all of these as they relate to Arizona and Tucson, in particular. Those might be some of the terms that would be used to access it, as well as the details involved in what is being captured in the images and text.

I'm a bit behind on things this week due to the amount of time I have spent preparing to travel to Nairobi Kenya to assist with a Biodiversity Informatics workshop there as a representative of the United States. I applied for a "scholarship" and am honored to have been one of the four chosen to go, but there was a lot of work to do to apply for a visa and get vaccinations just to start to get ready. Still, I think it will be a great learning experience both academically and culturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment