Sunday, July 25, 2010

mySQL - more about databases

This week was more about databases. I enjoyed actually working with mySQL, although it is challenging to remember the commands. I'm sure that if I had enough practice, it would come in time.

I had to re-install, or perhaps install for the first time webmin on the practice machine. It was no big deal, but I did have to dig through many of the past assignments to find the procedure for adding it. I do notice that it went easier this time than ever before, so I must be learning something here.

I also installed phpMyAdmin this week and found it really helpful when working with mySQL. Who would have guessed. There is some duplication between webmin and phpMyAdmin, but I like the interface on phpMyAdmin better for working with mySQL. If I got really versed in the command line for mySQL, I might use it for more stuff, but for now, I would tend to use phpMyAdmin for most database stuff. It has the nice feature of showing you the mySQL commands that you entered, which I make sure to study each time I do something, so it is reinforcing my understanding of the language.

We are now heading into the last leg of the LAMP journey. I can hardly believe that July is about over and that August will soon be here. I just have to keep up the juggling act for a few more weeks and then a small break before jumping right back into the Fall semester and more juggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment