Sunday, July 18, 2010

Databases - ERDs for nerds!

This week was pretty heavy-duty. There was a lot of information to take in about databases. There was the whole planning thing, meaning we had a bunch of Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) information. Some of the tutorial information seems to conflict at times, maybe just the way the drawings were done. At any rate, I need to continue to review that information and at the same time I need to practice working with the commands for mysql, which doesn't look too bad, but the command line style interface information is now getting a bit muddled with the CLI stuff I learned in working with Linux already. It's a lot of information to digest at such a rapid clip. I'm confident I can learn it, I'll just need to practice it over time and it will begin to gel in a while. That's my experience with these kinds of things.
Still, I'm excited about databases. They really intrigue me because they seem so useful and powerful. It is just amazing to me how much can be done with information by using databases. I especially like working with media databases. My Discussion this week included one of my favorite archive websites: Dimitri Tiomkin collection: http://www.dimitritiomkin.com/index.cfm. I highly recommend taking a look - and listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment