Sunday, June 13, 2010

Adding Users and Groups using CLI, Gnome and Webmin

This week was an exercise in comparing some different ways one could add Users and Groups in Ubuntu. As I worked through using the Command Line Interface to add Users and Groups, I appreciated getting the "feel of the road" from using CLI. I was right there doing the work and could rapidly check to see if I had added the user or group by checking the appropriate directories.

Installing Webmin was not overly challenging, but I did find myself stuck a couple of times and unsure whether or not the packages I needed had downloaded or if they had been installed. The CLI sometimes rolls by so quickly that it makes it difficult to check one's work to see what has actually happened - or not. At first, I neglected to enter the port number after the URL, which was an ssl address. Once I figured out the addressing problem, I was able to successfully log into Webmin and use it. Of the three interfaces, I liked Webmin the best. It even has a batch file capability, which I'm sure comes in handy for the hardy administrators out there who have a lot of users with which to deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment